Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Goodbye Oh Nine, Hello One Oh

As the New Year approaches, I start to think about new years resolutions. Why do I make them? Who knows, because rarely do I keep them. But I have decided that this is the year that I will make a more conscious effort to be committed. I have thought long and hard on these resolutions and they will inevitably increase my quality of life and will make me a better person – so why not try to keep them???

So here they are folks, my 2010 resolutions:

1. I resolve to be a better friend. Since I have moved to El Paso, I find it more and more difficult to stay connected, not facebook connected, but truly connected to my friends. I think that the ease of facebook and the internet has created a false sense of friendship and that I no longer want. I want to be a true friend. Bess and I have decided to be pen pals which I am really excited about. I think that there is a charm and a closeness you get from receiving real letters in the mail. Also, I love the fact that I will have a tangible, hand written letter from a friend. But this, I hope, will not be the only person I talk to. I want to talk to my friends on the phone...and that is something I will have to work on.

2. I resolve to write more. This past year has been a crazy one.... I turned 25, I graduated (finally), I got married (woop woop), I moved across the country, and I passed my teaching certification test (still praying for a job). However, I have very few journal entries from one the most exciting/craziest times of my life. And the few I do have are from when I was stressed out or sad – nothing happy!! That’s so awful. But I want to remember this time. I want one day, my children, my grandchildren, and even my great grandchildren to be able to have a written record of my life...from my perspective. I sat in my grandmother’s kitchen over Christmas and listened to her tell stories of my great grandmother and I loved every second of it. I love learning about the history of my family. It’s so mesmerizing and interesting. I want to be able to leave something that future generations can have – to know something about me and my life –and maybe even learn something about themselves from me.

3. I resolve to run a ½ marathon. Now I know the half marathon is in march but still – it’s gonna be a struggle for me to get there. SOoo it’s a resolution.

4. I resolve to do Project Life. As I get into the writing/family history/please remember mode, I am excited to embark on this project. I do believe that it will be a hard one. Since I am not a scrapbooker but love to take pictures (and since I NEVER print any pictures – one of the drawbacks I think of digital cameras) I think this is perfect for me. I am to take one picture a day for an entire year and journal a little about each picture/day. I found this idea from here and here. I got the kit for Christmas so I have no excuse not to do this. Poor Bubby (mikell = hubby bubby, therefore bubby) may be the subject of many a photo. But I know I will appreciate this project when it’s finished and I can look back at it.

5. I resolve to learn how to play the guitar. I’m not saying I am going to pull a James Taylor and lock myself away for the next year..I’m just saying I think I could learn a few chords. I think it would be fun to sit and play and sing. I will have to hire Bubby to teach me. Good quality time for us I think – just gotta convince him.

Ok so those are my resolutions. I get excited thinking about them and can’t wait for 2010 – I feel it’s going to be a good one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment