Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Unemployment has its perks.

Although I complain on a daily, and sometimes hourly, basis that I don't have a job/it's a pain in the butt to find one/I don't know what to do with my chemistry degree, being unemployed has a few perks (being poor not one of them).

The past couple of weeks I have been reading (Pretty in Plaid -HILARIOUS!!!), crocheting a baby blanket, and cleaning and organizing. But my favorite thing so far has been cooking. WHO KNEW?!?!?! I sure didn't. Before I got married I was still in college and did not cook much. Zaxby's was pretty much my menu (oh how I miss thee) and Starbucks was my home. I mean, I felt that I had cooking potential, and honestly was quite nervous when I had to cook our first meal...but I must say I am pretty good at it - and it's fun!

I like spending the time to make a good home-cooked meal. It's kind of therapeutic. I don't however enjoy the grocery store, that is unless I have Starbucks in hand...and then it's not too bad :). I have made all sorts of yummy dishes - bbq chicken pizza, sun dried tomato stuffed chicken (my most impressive feat), ravioli-spinach lasagna, jalapeno chicken, and the list goes on. Last week we had our 'house group' over for dinner and even the little things made me happy....like putting lemons and limes in a pitcher of water. It was refreshing.

Today I debated going to get fast food or just making something here. Well folks, I made something here and it was DELISH!

I kind of had a modge podge of things in my fridge and wasn't quite sure what I wanted. I had just bought tomatoes so I thought a tomato sandwich sounded good - I grew up on tomato sandwiches and they remind me of my grandmother. We used to eat them together on our family beach trips with a glass of sweet tea - and well, nothing beats a simple lunch with your grandmother.

BUT, tomato sandwiches don't really fill me up - ya know? We only have salsa verde doritos (AMAZING - and to all you Georgia peeps, if you want some - I will mail them to you) and I am kinda tired of those...HHHmmmm what to do?

So I made a concoction of sorts. I boiled some eggs, made some pesto mayo, cut up my tomato, baked some french fries, poured a glass of tea and VOILA! A yummy lunch! Made by moi :)

No comments:

Post a Comment