Wednesday, October 21, 2009

It's Christmas in El Paso


This morning as I was getting dressed I got a knock on my door. To my surprise, I opened the door to find a UPS man with a box that was quite large. At first I thought it was a package of pillows from my mom but saw that it was from my grandmother - I had no clue what it was.....

Living in El Paso is very different than living in Georgia. The culture here is very Mexican, the landscape is very brown, and the temperature (even now) is very hot. Having been raised in the South, I find myself holding onto and searching for things that remind me of home - even simple things like a big glass of sweet tea. I have learned that there is a special charm in south, one you can't find anywhere else...from sitting on the front porch watching fireflies to the smell of honeysuckle; from football games on saturdays to drinking sweet tea with every meal; from riding dirt roads late into the night to large families gatherings that you can't wait for...the south is where my heart is.

I feel that my family is a pretty typical southern family. We cherish our family and hold tight to it's traditions. Christmas at Grandma and Pawpaw's house is one of those traditions. One, that in my books, can not be beat and if you could come and spend time with my family you would understand why.

Christmas at my grandparents house is magical. It is something that is looked forward to by all...all 17 of us...and for the past 25 years it has been my favorite time. Walking into her house you know that you are at home, that this is where you want to be. The first thing we always do is look at her trees - she usually has 2. And they are gorgeous - I can honestly say they are the prettiest trees I see all year. Her ornaments sparkle and the tinsel shines and you can tell that she has meticulously placed everything so that it's perfect.
And it is....it is perfect.

She hangs a small red bell at the bottom of the tree so that the baby can play with it - because there always seems to be a baby. She has ornaments my mom made when she was younger hanging beside huge glittery bobbles and crystal drops. Santa hangs beside snowmen, and nativity scences glisten in the lights. It is truely something to behold.
As I have grown up Christmas has changed...I am now "Santa" along with the other adults in my family as we pass out presents and sip on toddies - Grandma with her old fashioned, Pawpaw with his scotch. It is a time that I cherish; moments with my family that I hold close to my heart.
(my favorite)
...as I begin to open the this big box I am filled with excitement - what could it be? There are tons of little packages wrapped in tissue paper and bubble wrap. I take one and open it carefully to find a beautiful, glittery, Christmas ornament. Tears fill my eyes as I continue through the box and open more.

Christmas ornaments...like my grandmother's...fill the box. I am overwhelmed with joy and blissfully covered in glitter.

Now, everytime I hang an ornament I will think of her. I will one day tell my children that my favorite ornaments on our tree came from Grandma. And hopefully one day I will send my newlywed granddaughter a box just like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment