Monday, May 31, 2010

Sustainable Summer

As the school year ends, I think about what I am going to do this summer. I am going to the beach with some friends and going to North Carolina and Georgia for a few glorious weeks. But I am going to have a lot of free time. So I thought to myself...what to do, what to do?

Mikell and I have been trying to be a little more environmentally friendly. We try to recycle, I use tupperware instead of sandwich bags for my lunches, we have energy saving light bulbs, we use biodegradable trash bags, hand soap, and tooth pick flossing things...but that's about the extent to our greenness. We know we can do more.

Now, we can't grow a garden in our apartment (even tho I am dying to have a topsy turvy) but we can be better about eating more organically and supporting our local farmers.

Being a nerd (and having a chemistry degree) I get really worried about using the smelly cleaners in my apt - breathing in all those fumes...YUCK! So I plan on making our own cleaners.

Mikell has a bunch of old shirts that I want to make into cloth napkins (need to buy a sewing machine).

We are leaning towards being a one-car family. My engine blew up about a month ago and my car is STILL in the shop getting fixed and we have been carpooling to work. It's so nice to have him drop me off in the mornings and pick me up in the afternoons.

And lastly, cooking. I love to cook. So hopefully we will be eating out less and staying in more.

Those are a few things I plan to do this summer. And I'll keep you updated on how sustainable we become.

No comments:

Post a Comment